Archive for March, 2010

Music Copyright for Schools ~ Print Music

Sunday 7 March, 2010

Information for Schools @ APRA-AMCOS website

Music copyright has been a constant source of frustration for me as a music teacher! So I am listing my investigations to make it clearer to me.

I stumbled across the Teachers and Schools brochure (PDF file) put out by Music Industry Piracy Investigations (MIPI) whose aim it is to raise awareness of music piracy in Australia. At the end, it lists the main copyright authorities and their relevant licences:

  1. AMCOS/ ARIA Schools’ Recording Licence – Allows copying of music in specified situations.
    All government schools in Australia are covered by the licence, and private schools may also be covered through an agreement with their peak education body.
  2. AMCOS Schools’ Photocopying Licence – Allows photocopying of sheet music (limits apply).
    All government schools are covered by the licence. If you teach at a non-government school you should check with your peak education body whether your school is covered.
  3. PPCA Public Performance Licence – Covers the public performance of sound recordings.
    Your school must contact PPCA to obtain the relevant licence. Alternatively, your school can contact the relevant copyright owner directly.
  4. APRA Public Performance Licence – Covers the public performance of musical works.
    All government schools are covered by the licence and most other schools in Australia are covered through an agreement with their peak education body. Check with your peak education body if unsure.

As photocopying music for the classroom is one of the most important areas for me as an educator, I am listing the rules I have found from the MIPI Teachers and Schools brochure, the AMCOS website, the AMCOS Music Copyright for Schools brochure and the AMCOS Print Music Guide.

  1. Your school must own the original sheet music (i.e. not just the teacher).
  2. Licenses cost 59.43 cents per student. Government schools are automatically covered, Non-Government school teachers should check with their relevant peak body. In my case, $250 will cover my 420 students (mandatory course, elective courses and ensembles).
  3. Each copy must be stamped with “AMCOS Licensed Copy”, the school’s name, the date and the copy number (eg. 1/15).
  4. Private music tutors are not covered by the AMCOS Schools’ Photocopying Licence.
  5. Private music tutors are not allowed to photocopy music from the school library for their students.
  6. Digital copying, scanning and computer storage is not covered under the licence.
  7. Print music may be copied for the classroom, instrumental ensembles and singing groups within the school.
  8. Copies may be lent to other schools if performing together, but must be returned at the end of the event.
  9. Copies may not be lent to private music tutors, community groups, churches or for students’ external music exams.
  10. The AMCOS licence does not cover copying textbooks, dictionaries, method books, theory books, libretti and more than 3 songs from a stage production.
  11. Photocopies of photocopies may only be made to replace lost, stolen or destroyed copy.
  12. The Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) licence only covers up to 10% of a music work.
  13. The CAL licences does cover up to 10% for digital copying only if it is not commercially available, or is too expensive, or takes too long to order (how ridiculous!).
  14. Copies may be given to students for home practice, but are not in addition to the allowable copy limits (listed below).
  15. Song books with words are not covered and you will need to contact the music publishers (including Christmas carols).

The following table lists how many copies may be made in relation to how many originals the school owns:

Type of Work
Primary School High School
Separate Choral Sheet 5 5
Separate Musical Work 30 15
Up to 3 Songs from a Collection 30 15
Transcription of a Musical Work 30 15
Transposition of a Musical Work 30 15
Parts from an Orchestral/Band Set 30 30
Up to 3 Works from
an Orchestral/Band Set Collection
30 each 30 each
Parts from a Chamber Music Work
(with a maximum of 1 per instrument)
10 10

Right, so that’s about as much details as I can be bothered with. Perhaps in a later post I will detail the other half of music copyright for schools …performance!